Help Desk Survival Guide - Remote Access FAQ
Q. What is Remote Access?
Remote Access is an application deployment system that provides users with access to UIHC applications through a standard Web browser.
Q. Can I access UI Health Care resources from home or from out of state?
Yes, authorized UI Health Care (UIHC) employees can use Health Care Information Systems (HCIS) Remote Access to access Microsoft Office applications, files on their network drives (H:, S:, etc.), and UIHC clinical and administrative applications such as EPIC, IDX, and Cerner via the Internet.
UIHC faculty or staff members may request authorization to use Remote Access. Students are not eligible to use Remote Access.
Q. How can I request Remote Access?
Due to security reasons, you may not request access for self. Request must be submitted on your behalf by an assigned trusted requestor for the department. A Healthcare account is required for this access to be setup
On an HCIS-managed PC, follow these steps
- Click the Start button.
- In the Start menu, click on Help Desk WebRequest
- The HCIS Help Desk site should open, click Create New WebRequest Work Order button.
- Login into the UIHC Web Request site with your HealthcareID and Password
- Under HCIS Security category, click Remote Access Request
- Complete the form and submit.
On a non HCIS-managed PC, launch a web browser and go to http://hcis.healthcare.uiowa.edu/selfservice/webrequest.html (Do not enter www), and continue from step 3.
Q. What applications can be accessed using Remote Access?
Most of the programs commonly used by UI Health Care employees are available via UI Health Care Remote Access. The list includes:
- Network Drives
- Internet Explorer
- Control Panel
*Use of UI Health Care applications requires active accounts on those systems, in addition to a Remote Access account.
Q. How do I use Remote Access?
If you have requested a new Remote Access account, an e-mail message will be sent to you that will include instructions for setting up the Remote Access client on your PC, as well as instructions for using Remote Access.
If you already have a Remote Access account,
- Launch your web browser and go to https://desktop.healthcare.uiowa.edu (Do not enter www).
- When the Log In screen appears (see picture below), enter your HawkID and password and select your domain from the dropdown list.
- Click Log In. After you log in to Remote Access, the UI Health Care Applications screen will appear.
- Click the icon for the application you wish to launch or for the folder – Accessories, Control Panel, Office Applications, or Web Applications – you wish to open.
- If you do not see a list of folders and UI Health Care applications, you can click the (Up) or (Top) button to return to the top level menu.
For more information about Remote Access, you can click the online help button to read answers to frequently asked questions.